Text

~my thoughts about life~



Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Just Sad Today

A while ago, I mentioned my cousin who is expecting their second baby in February.  Yesterday, they got some heartbreaking news.  They're going to have to take the baby on Monday.  The swelling in the brain has intensified, and I guess the amount of fluid surrounding the brain has greatly increased.  I don't know any other details because the family is too broken up to talk about it.  She's only 26 weeks and the lungs are just starting to develop.  Today, they're administering high doses of steroids, but I can't imagine that much can be done between now and Monday.  It doesn't look good.

If the baby does survive the birth, she will be immediately transferred to Children's Hospital for brain surgery.  Her mother will still be in the Operating Room being stitched up after her C-Section, and that's more than she can bear right now. 

If they allow the baby to gestate longer, the chances of mental problems greatly increase.  The doctor gave them a choice between this Monday and next, but strongly suggested they move as quickly as possible.  How does one decide between taking the baby earlier, reducing the chances of survival or waiting and greatly increasing the chances of abnormality? 

We're still clinging to hope and trusting God who is in control.  We don't understand why things happen and we can't even pretend to try. 

Thanks for letting me dump this on you all.  I can't actually talk about it in real life.

4 comments:

Erica said...

I am so sorry to hear this. What an awful decision to make.

The Lovely One said...

That is so heartbreaking. My heart goes out to you and your whole family.

Jo said...

What sad news and what a hard decision to make.

Thanking of you all

Melissa Thomas said...

We are praying!