Text

~my thoughts about life~



Thursday, June 18, 2020

Intention, Not Attention

Is it still considered a good deed when you broadcast it to others?

That's one of my pet peeves- when people film themselves doing good deeds, then they plaster it all over social media so they can get credit.  Are you doing it to benefit others or for yourself?  I love the quote, "Good deeds should be done with intention not for attention."

Allow me a moment to brag on myself.  I apologize in advance.  I'm justifying my actions based on my anonymity; I don't know any of you.  I'm not publishing this account on Facebook or anywhere I actually have an identity.  So does that make it any better?  Maybe not, but whatever.

I was supposed to pick up my daughter after an event, but I was running a few minutes late.  A friend decided to drop her off at home for me.  As I was returning home alone, I saw two ladies beginning to cross my street on the main road.  The older of the two was carrying an infant car seat.  I remember how heavy those are, so I paused on the main road to allow her to cross the side street.  I felt terrible that she was trying to carry that heavy seat; she appeared to be in her 50s.  I turned onto the side street and rolled down my window.  I asked where they were headed and if they needed a ride.  They named a pediatrician that was located in the exact opposite direction.  When I told them they were walking the wrong way, they were despondent.  I offered to drive them there, and they accepted.

Never in my life have I picked up strangers in the car, but I could not allow these two women to continue on their journey with that car seat.  It would have been close to a half-mile walk.  As it turns out, the baby arrived two months early and they didn't have the stroller yet for the car seat.  This was his first appointment.  They had taken the bus from a nearby town, and had turned the wrong way when they got off.  They were extremely grateful for the ride; grandma said she would have been lying in someone's front yard if I had not picked them up.

After I dropped them off, guilt overcame me once again.  How did I expect them to get back to the bus stop?  When I got home, I called the pediatrician office and provided my phone number.  I told the receptionist to have the ladies call me after the appointment and I would pick them up.  Thankfully, they had told me the first name of the baby.

That's how life should be- people helping people.  It wasn't hard.  I had no agenda that day.  I was relaxing on the porch, reading a book.  I've been blessed and it was nice to bless someone else in return.  Oh, there was one thing I forgot to mention.  They were black.  My husband is a white cop.  See, we don't all hate one another- the media spews that image.  We got along just fine and we didn't even have to take a Facebook selfie to document it.

No comments: