Text

~my thoughts about life~



Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Soapbox Time

For the next few minutes, I'll be getting up on my soapbox to share my opinion.  If you choose to skip this post, I promise not to have any hard feelings. 

Today is August 1, "Chick-Fil-A Day" to some.  Personally, I'll be glad when this day is over because I'm quite tired of the hype associated with it.  I'm worried that there may be protests, fights, and possible injuries because of this day.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, let's recap.  The owners of Chick-Fil-A have expressed their position on gay marriage.  People are irate about it.  Why?  Do you honestly think that every business owner you patronize shares your same belief system?  If you do, you're the most naive person I've ever heard of. 

We all have opinions.  They vary.  That's what makes the world go round.  I personally think that chocolate is the best flavor of ice cream.  If you're a vanilla kind of person, we can still be friends.  (Now, those strawberry people have no place with us!  Just kidding.)

Individual people and entire cities have declared a boycott of Chick-Fil-A for its opinions.  I'm sorry, but I see that as a double standard.  You're judging someone based on their strong beliefs, yet you're doing the exact same thing by protesting based on your strong beliefs. 

The folks up in arms are acting like the restaurant chain has refused service to gay couples.  That never happened.  In fact, they haven't conducted business any differently recently.  All they did was state their opinion when asked.

One comment I saw from a lovely demonstrator said that it's the same thing as refusing service to black couples.  Really?  I don't see how that's the same.  No one has been refused service at any point. 

Again, I will go back to the point that major business owners are going to have strong opinions that are likely going to differ from yours.   The CEO of Ford is either for or against abortion.  The owner of McDonald's is either Republican or Democrat.  The people in charge over at Starbuck's, Old Navy, and NBC have opinions on welfare, health care, and education.  If you want to take the time to research all their beliefs before you decide whether or not to patronize them, you are going to be one busy dude. 

If you've noticed, I haven't shared my opinion regarding gay marriage.  I simply addressed the hype associated with the Chick-Fil-A events.  Although, if you've read my blog for long, you probably won't have a hard time figuring out what side of the fence I'm on and I'm not ashamed about that.

Enjoy your waffle fries today.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

When I started school in Ft. Benning GA in 1963 there was a quote on the wall that we were required to memorize. "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall. It's a shame that political correctness is undermining the principals of freedom of speech.

Linda said...

Just another situation where the liberals are trying to assert their rights while denying opponents their same rights to free speech and thoughts.

There was a photo on my fb page of a McDonald's marquee that said something like, "we agree with Chick-fil-A, now try to boycott us". Loved it!

The Lovely One said...

I don't think that chick fil A tastes all that great, anyway. My best friend says that's the true sin!