Text

~my thoughts about life~



Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Bathroom Break

I think it was 13 or 14 years ago, we gutted out our upstairs bathroom and replaced everything, down to the dry wall.  We were a one-income family at the time, so we did things on the cheap.  My dad, who does nothing on the cheap, said that the materials would never last.  We purchased everything from a big box store, but it was all we could afford at the time.  In hindsight, I'm still glad we did what we did.  Guys, my bathtub was lavender before we remodeled!  LAVENDER!

At this point, everything is utter crap.  You have to hold down the toilet handle to get it to flush.  The knob fell off the medicine cabinet door years ago.  The drawers in the vanity don't slide at all.  The towel bar is broken.  Not to mention, we've raised 4 kids and 2 adults in this bathroom, and for 2 years, it was the sole bathroom in the house!  It served its purpose.

Hubby has been working some side jobs and we've been saving up to do it right this time.  Last night, we went to a high-quality hardware store to "look around."  Yeah, I came back with a whole bathroom designed.  This is how it went down:

I had been scouring the internet during the quarantine for bathroom vanities.  I thought that was a good place to start.  I could not find anything I liked, except for stuff from big box stores.  I absolutely refused to buy from there again.  I finally found something on Amazon that had great reviews and was made of solid wood.  Still, I was worried about ordering something blindly.  At the hardware store, I was able to choose my wood, the door style, and the color.  I was struggling picking out the countertop material because there were so many choices.  She led me to a remnant that was the highest quality quartz with reduced pricing.  I loved it!  To get that remnant, I had to snag it up.  So that's why I went ahead and ordered everything.  The best part is that my design ended up coming very close to the price of the Amazon vanity!  God is good, people!  I ended up designing a matching medicine cabinet, and I bet the knob will not fall off of that!

The Floor I Like
How 'Bout That Sign?
We purchased a Moen faucet and the best toilet money can buy.  Still left on my list is flooring, vanity lighting, and PVC shiplap.  I put PVC beadboard in my half bath and absolutely love it!  It's extremely durable, waterproof, and super easy to clean.  As I was in the process of picking out products, I pulled out my phone to open Pinterest.  The pin at the top of this post is exactly how my bathroom is shaping up to look!  I have a medicine cabinet in the same finish, rather than just a mirror.  Also, I will likely have a wide plank, light floor to contrast the cabinet.  Definitely over the toilet, I will have a sign that says, "Please Be Seated," or "Remain seated for the entire performance," or something equally as witty.

I'm so excited and cannot wait for the transformation!  I'm looking forward to posting pictures when it is complete.

No comments: