Text

~my thoughts about life~



Monday, July 6, 2020

Warm Fuzzies

There are still good people out there in the world.  With all my heart, I believe they far outnumber the bad folk; they just don't make as much noise.  I wanted to share three experiences my husband had while on duty this week.


Just a day on the job
First of all, my husband was working security at our local supermarket.  A black man entered the store with his three children and gave my husband a sideways look.  His children appeared frightened by the presence of a police officer so near.  After shopping, the man approached my husband.  "Can I ask you a question?" he asked.  "Sure," Hubby replied.  The man continued to explain that his children live with a fear of law enforcement.  He said he got a certain feeling about my husband when he entered the store, and he could tell he was a good cop.  He wanted to know if it was OK for the children to meet my husband and talk with him, so they could realize that cops are good people.  I commended that father for his actions.  He stepped out of his comfort zone and acted in a way that society doesn't expect.  The best thing he did that day was teach his children a very valuable lesson about how to see the good in each individual person, not to judge any given group as a whole.  


A local citizen posted this online
The following day, a 10-year-old boy approached my husband's cruiser as he was patrolling a rough  neighborhood.  Hubby greeted him and the boy replied, "Can I tell you something?  I like cops.  The police are the good guys because they help people.  All these rioters out there are the bad guys.  They want to hurt cops and that's not right.  You be extra careful out there."  Hubby said he was nearly moved to tears.  This boy acquired more character in his ten years than some people do in a lifetime.  Hubby asked about his family and the boy said his father had passed away.  Someone, somewhere raised that boy right and I hope he someday makes something of himself.  

Finally, Hubby was hand-delivered a care package on his shift today.  The card had a Lego police officer on it thanking the police for protecting and serving during this time of turmoil and unrest.  Also included was a homemade face mask and a McDonald's gift card.  The older couple did not want to drop off the packages at the station; they wanted to personally hand them to each officer on all three shifts.

Just when I begin to lose all faith in humanity, a week like this comes along and makes me thankful for all the good people who are still out there.  I appreciate each and every one of you who go an extra mile to make someone else's day just a little bit better.  Thank you.

No comments: