Text

~my thoughts about life~



Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I Don't Homeschool

I must have "the look." Upon meeting people for the first time, they are typically shocked that I have four children. (I look somewhat young for my age and we got started early.) One of the first questions they usually ask is, "Do you homeschool?" Why is it that people associate having more than the average 2.5 children with homeschooling? Just because I'm crazy enough to keep having kids means that I'm crazy enough to homeschool? (Ha...kidding!)

If homeschooling if your thing, that's great. But it's not for me. Socialization is very important to me. Kids who are homeschooled tend to be on the odd side. Yes, I know that they have social groups for home schooled kids to interact with other homeschooled kids. But having the odd interact with other odd? Hmmmm...doesn't work for me. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. I know a family of six who homeschool and they are very pleasant, normal people.

I know I can't give my children the same advantages that the public education system and multiple skilled teachers can give them. And I have a college degree in education. I don't know how typical parents do it. I think I would lose my mind!

No comments: