Text

~my thoughts about life~



Thursday, March 25, 2010

What's For Dinner?

I love watching the Rachael Ray show; she has so much energy and personality. There is one segment of her show called What's For Dinner Tonight? I love watching this portion of the show, but I must admit, I rarely like what she prepares. I have a family of six picky eaters and it's very difficult to please them each night. So when Rachael prepares a fish stew with four kinds of seafood and pounds of vegetables, I think, "Yeah right!"

So I thought I would start a segment of my blog called What's For Dinner? These will more than likely be simpler, plainer recipes because that's all we eat! But today I will start off with our most ethnic recipe. Hubby is Greek and I am Hungarian, so I do try to cook a few ethnic recipes.

PASTITSIO (Greek Lasagna)

Meat Mixture

6 T butter
2 T chopped sweet onion
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 lb. hamburger
1 29 oz. can tomato sauce
salt & pepper
dash cinnamon

In a large skillet, melt 2 T of the butter; saute onion and garlic until golden. Add remaining butter and crumbled hamburger; brown well. Add remaining ingredients and simmer.


Macaroni Mixture

3/4 lb. Greek macaroni
salt
1/4 C butter, melted
6 eggs
1 C grated Parmesan cheese

In a large pot, bring water to a rolling boil; sprinkle with salt. Break macaroni into thirds, add to water and stir. Cook uncovered until tender, stirring occasionally. Drain thoroughly. Add butter and toss.

In a large bowl, beat 3 eggs well; add half of macaroni and 1/2 C cheese. Toss well. Layer into a greased 9x13" baking dish. Top with meat mixture. Repeat as above to combine remaining macaroni, eggs, and cheese; layer over top of meat mixture.


Bechamel Sauce




6 T butter
6 T flour
2 C warm milk
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 C grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 t salt
dash pepper



In a medium saucepan, melt butter; blend in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth. Gradually stir in eggs; cook over very low heat until thickened. Add cheese, salt, and pepper. Spread bechamel sauce over macaroni; bake at 350 for 25 minutes, or until top is delicately browned.


*My Recipe Notes:
-There is nowhere local that sells Greek macaroni. So I use 3 C elbow macaroni instead.
-The bechamel sauce is a little temperamental. I would recommend giving your full attention while making this sauce. I do make the meat and macaroni mixtures at the same time though.
-It takes much longer that 25 minutes for the top to brown in my oven. Be patient but keep your eye on it.

1 comment:

REJOICING said...

I made this for dinner last night and it was a hit. Boy it was a lot of work though. Definitely not a quick weeknight meal! But I will be making it again. Thanks so much for the recipe.