Text

~my thoughts about life~



Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Scam?

A few weeks ago, hubby and I were dining out at a local Cracker Barrel restaurant. As we walked to our car, we noticed an older model white van that seemed to be following us. We picked up the pace a little and jumped in our car. An older gentleman approached the passenger window. He was nicely dressed so I wasn't too alarmed. I cracked it a few inches to hear what he was saying. The first question he asked was, "Do you speak English?" This threw me a bit because we live in a total English-speaking community in the Midwest US. He began his story that he and his wife had travelled from a large city two hours south to see their new grand baby. Silly him left his wallet at home and they had no gas money to get back. He continued on that his wife told him not to approach us but he didn't listen because we looked like such nice people. He needed some money and even had the two-day-old baby in the van to prove if we wanted to see her. We had two dollars in plain view on the console so I handed him that and we left. Scam? Probably. But it was only two dollars.

A few weeks later, hubby took the kids to Friendly's Restaurant to eat while I was at a meeting. An older gentlemen approached him and asked, "Do you speak English?" He began the same story about leaving his wallet at home and needing gas money. Hubby interrupted him and very bluntly said, "You already got me once, dude." The man looked surprised and simply replied, "Oh." Hubby found the restaurant manager and told him the story. He kicked the man out.


We haven't seen him since but I wouldn't be surprised to run into him again at some point. Next time, I think I'll tell him that I love babies and would enjoy getting to hold his newborn!

No comments: