Text

~my thoughts about life~



Thursday, September 23, 2010

Just Another Candle on the Cake

When I was growing up, my 18th birthday was no different than any other birthday. My parents did not buy into the school of thought that a person magically turns into an adult the day they turn eighteen. I am thankful for that.

An acquaintance of mine is at her wit's end right now because her recently turned eighteen-year-old son has disappeared. Her Facebook posts plead for any information about her son. "If he would just contact me..." she says. My heart sunk at the thought of what she's going through. But then, she posted that she heard he was staying with a friend, even though he didn't bother to mention it. I was angered at him for putting his mother through this but then I read her response: "He's 18, there's really nothing I can do." Ugh! Why is it that teens are no longer responsible to their parents when they turn 18? I'm 34 and married with 4 kids. I still answer to my parents. Yes, I make my own decisions. But when my parents think I'm making the wrong ones, they let me know. And I appreciate it.

Maybe I'm just old school. Does anyone else agree with me that the only thing different about turning 18 is another candle on the cake?

4 comments:

Theresa said...

Seriously, I think there is a problem in our society with parents allowing their kids to get away with stuff starting at a younger and younger age. When I was a teacher, I saw it; when my kids started school I saw it. Parents need to step up and let their kids know who is in charge. I am not saying beat them or mistreat them, but you don't need to give into their every whim and desire. Parents need to grow a set and take charge!

~she~ said...

Amen! I was worried I was going to get a lot of slack for this one! My hope is that I always remember- no, that my kidsalways remember- that I'm the one in charge.

Thanks for your comment!

Lena! said...

Fabulous post! I too am totally against society's view that our children are "adults" at 18. Me - I was just as irresponsible at 18 as I was at 17 years 364 days old. And just as naughty at 21. And even more disorganized at 24. And certainly making questionable decisions at 26. I don't think I smartened up until I was just shy of 30 years old - and thank goodness I had (and still have) two loving parents who took an interest in my life and are not afraid to knock some sense into me.

~she~ said...

Well said, Lena! My parents still knock sense into me too! Hopefully I'll have all the sense I need by the time I'm 80!