Text

~my thoughts about life~



Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What's For Dinner?

French Onion Soup is what's for dinner! Last night was the first time I made this recipe and I want to declare that it's a keeper! It was featured on Paula Deen (whom I love) and I knew I had to try it. I had been wanting a good French Onion Soup recipe for quite some time. This is it. I did cut down on the onions, however. I used about 3/4 of a very large sweet onion. I can't imagine using 8 onions! I also wanted to mention that I served the soup in my crème brulée ramekins. It tasted so heavenly! I will be having leftovers for lunch today!

French Onion Soup
1/3 C oil
8 onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T flour
8 C beef stock
1/4 C dry white wine
1/2 t dried thyme
1 bay leaf
salt & pepper to taste
1 loaf French bread
2 C grated Gruyere or Mozzarella cheese

Sauté onions in oil over low heat until tender and golden yellow. Sprinkle flour over onions, cook a few minutes more, browning the flour well. Add stock and wine and bring to a boil, add garlic, thyme and bay leaf. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently for 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Meanwhile, slice French bread into 3/4" slices and butter both sides. Toast slices on griddle until golden brown. Ladle soup into an ovenproof bowl, add toasted bread and cover with cheese. Place ovenproof bowl on a baking sheet lined with tin foil. Bake at 350 degrees or 5 minutes under a hot broiler. Servings: 4-6 bowls of soup

No comments: