Text

~my thoughts about life~



Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Respectful Vandalism

The teenage girls group that I head up started up again last night.  They range in age from 7th to 12th grades.  Yesterday happened to be our Youth Pastor's birthday so I knew we had to do something big to acknowledge our appreciation.  Also, he's my first cousin so I know him pretty well.  I wanted to do something on the line of TPing (rolling, whatever you call it) or Forking, but I didn't want to do anything that would be difficult to clean up.  My fabulous assistant suggested Chalking.  That's it!  That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

About 20 of us loaded up on the church's passenger van and headed over to his house.  We were sure he was out for his birthday so we had plenty of time.  The girls also made an ugly sign that they decorated with scribbles and mud handprints (they were so creative last night) to announce to his upscale neighborhood that it was his birthday.

About 5 minutes into the job, my mom happened to call and mention that The Birthday Boy was five minutes from home when he decided to stop for ice cream.  Knowing what we were doing, she asked if he would drop ice cream by our grandparents' house to try to stall him for a bit.  It worked out perfectly and we finished just in time.

My girls had a blast and the photos are all over Facebook now.  I love meetings like that where I really feel like I connect with the girls and show them a good time in a safe community.  I also hope this program is still going to be around when my girls are teenagers.  I'll do my best to make sure that happens.

No comments: