Text

~my thoughts about life~



Friday, October 29, 2010

Pet Peeves

A lot of things have been bugging me lately...maybe I'm just getting older and grumpier.

My Pet Peeves

  • At the top of the list is a grammatical pet peeve. I hate the use of unnecessary apostrophes. The girl's gave the toy's to the kid's. I especially hate when apostrophes are used improperly on signage: Luigi's, The Best Pizza's in Town. Please have someone proofread a sign in which you are investing big money.
  • Chain emails, email forwards, text forwards, and Facebook post forwards. 97% of people won't have the guts to repost this. Really? Did you do scientific studies on that? My guess is that you randomly picked a number close to 100. If you have the best spouse in the world, forward this to show your love. Nah, my spouse is only the 2nd best spouse in the world. So I'd better pass.
  • People who do NOT use their turn signals. Why? How hard is it to push that little stick down to let me know you're going to turn? No, you would rather stop suddenly in the middle of the street and slowly begin your turn into a driveway. Maybe you should put down your cell phone and stop texting long enough to use a turn signal.
  • People who don't return their carts at the grocery store but instead shove them toward the cart return dock from a great distance. I was recently walking to my car at the store when I saw a woman shove her cart from about 20 feet away. Of course, my car was parked a couple spots down. The cart took a turn and slammed right into my vehicle. She noticed, grabbed the cart, and shoved it in the cart dock. No, she did not check for damage. With a snotty attitude, I proclaimed, "Actually, that's MY car." She one-upped me with attitude and answered me "It's FINE." I asked if she would mind if I checked first and she acted like I totally put her out. (It was fine but that's not the point!)
  • The neighbors who insist on parking right at the bottom of my driveway. Our side of the street is not known for simple driveways. We sit at the top of a hill and have windy, steep driveways. The neighbors could park in front of their house but they choose not to. They like parking right at the bottom of my driveway. So when it's icy in the winter, we have to drive like we're avoiding land mines to miss slamming right into their car.
  • People who go out in public wearing their pajamas. I don't live in the classiest of towns and I'm aware of that. Actually, I'm reminded of that every time I go grocery shopping. There will always be one low-class loser who must grocery shop right after rolling out of bed. If they can't change their clothes, is there any way they brushed their teeth or put on deodorant?
  • People in my family who do not push their chair into the table when they're done eating. Actually, I'll go ahead and throw in people in my family who do not clean up after themselves. How hard is it? I am not your maid, although I feel like it most days.
  • People who litter. They should be shot.
  • Political robo calls, political junk mail, political signs...if you read my post from a few days ago, you already know this.

That's all I have for now. I'll keep you posted if the level on my Grumpy Meter rises.

4 comments:

Lena! said...

Oh my - LOVE this rant! I agree with every single point - especially the grammatical pet peeve!

~she~ said...

Thanks for your support of my grumpiness! :)

Anonymous said...

Love this post--of all the rants you listed, the ones on top of my list are the "not using turn signals" and the "grammatical mistakes". Along with the misues of apostrophes is the lack of capitalization on facebook, blogs and texts. Aaargh!

Just knowing there's someone else out there that is annoyed by these things is refreshing!

~she~ said...

@Imagesisee and @Lena, since you both share my disdain for grammatical mistakes, I will tell you about my daughter's school calendar that came home this week. It had "Donuts for Dad's" on it and "Please return Book in a Bag's." Ugh! I think the problem is that the teachers aren't proofreading the calendars that PTA parents create. Joy.