Text

~my thoughts about life~



Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Cookie of the Day

I jokingly refer to my new baking adventure as Cookie of the Day. It seems like there is a new cookie almost every day because of how quickly they are disappearing. But my generous nature of sharing them with the entire neighborhood is partly to blame.

Yesterday the kids had a snow day so I decided to whip up something fun and different. We made Monster Cookies. I hadn't tasted a Monster Cookie since I was probably my kids' age. When I was little, a family friend would often have us over to her home. I remember her always making Pizza Burgers and Monster Cookies. I don't remember if the cookies were really that enormous or if I was just little. But the first bite brought back memories of my long gone youth. If you've never tasted them before, hopefully you'll enjoy them.

Monster Cookies
6 eggs
2 C sugar
1 lb. brown sugar
2 sticks butter, softened
1 T vanilla
1 T light corn syrup
4 t baking powder
1 1/2 lbs. (24 oz.) peanut butter
21 oz. quick oats (about 8 C)
1 (12 oz.) bag chocolate chips
Plain M&Ms

Mix eggs, sugar, brown sugar, butter, vanilla, corn syrup, baking powder, and peanut butter with a hand mixer in the order listed. Stir in oats and chocolate chips with a sturdy spoon. Drop by ice cream scoop onto a cookie sheet and press down to form round cookies. Garnish each cookie with 6 M&Ms.

Bake 9 to 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Take care not to over or under bake cookies. Let cookies sit for 5 minutes before removing to cooling racks. Cookies stay moist and delicious several days.

*My Notes:
- I only had old-fashioned oats, not quick oats. They seemed to work fine.
- I baked each tray of cookies for 11 to 13 minutes. My stoneware pans took longer than my aluminum sheets.
- I made about 70 fairly large cookies. I think the recipe could be cut in half if you don't have the need to feed an army.

No comments: