Text

~my thoughts about life~



Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Down for the Count

In just a split second, all your plans for the day, the week, and the month can be drastically altered. At 8:00 AM yesterday, I missed the bottom step in my home and came crashing to the floor. A doctor's appointment and X-rays at the hospital diagnosed that I had a bad ankle sprain. Here are the problems caused by this event:
  • I cannot walk on my foot and must keep it elevated and iced.
  • I am in moderate pain but hate pain medication.
  • I have 4 kids.
  • I am totally awkward with crutches.
  • My arms are totally sore from trying to learn how to use crutches.
  • Christmas is in 11 days and I am not ready.
  • My house is growing messier by the moment.
  • I have a party at my house on Monday with 20 teenage girls.
  • I am supposed to prepare a good amount of food for this party.
  • My husband is totally occupied with a busy schedule at work and I'm practically a single parent.
  • And worst of all, the homemade Christmas cookies have run out and I can't do anything about it.
  • Also, my mom and I make nutroll each Christmas and I don't see how in the world that's possible this year.
But I try to see my glass as half-full.
  • I have a legitimate reason to be completely lazy with no guilt attached.
  • My mother took off work to watch Baby Girl.
  • Homemade meals are being brought in.
  • It's too cold to go out anywhere anyway.
  • I can probably finish my Christmas shopping online.
  • I am getting caught up on my television watching.
  • I can probably wrap presents with my foot elevated.
  • I have a beautiful snowy landscape out my window to admire.
So blog posts may be few and far between. I'm not going anywhere, doing anything, or taking any pictures. I'm not baking anything or trying new recipes. To put it frankly, I'm pretty much a bore right now. So keep me in your thoughts. I hope to return soon with exciting adventures, stories, and photos to share. Merry Christmas!
Love,
Gimpy

6 comments:

Linda said...

Sorry to hear about your ankle--but nothing happens for nothing, so enjoy your medically imposed confinement.

While you're at it, you could give yourself a self-assignment. Keep your camera by your side and take as many photos as you can from the one spot. This will force you to be creative and it might be good for a few laughs.

Merry Christmas

Lena! said...

Oh, so sorry to hear about your ankle! Hope you have a swift recovery.

I couldn't find an e-mail address for you, so I apologize for contacting here, but I'll need your mailing address (incl telephone #) to send our your prize! Can you please e-mail that info to me? Thanks so much!

Lena! said...

The Warm Buddy Bear, that is!

Melissa C. said...

Have you seen those scooter like things where you can rest you affected leg on you knee? That might work better a friend of mine with 3 kids used that. (I'm a nurse). Take the pain medicines. They will help you. No food prep for you. You have enough on your plate right now. Let people take care if you!! Be kind to yourself.

Theresa said...

you poor thing! I am glad that you are finding the bright side in all of this!

These things always have a way of working out...by Christmas, you will be ready!

~she~ said...

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words! I am healing very quickly and plan to be back to normal very soon! Thanks for your thoughts!