Text

~my thoughts about life~



Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

People-watching is one of my favorite activities. I love it when I have the time to just sit on a bench and observe the crowd as it passes by. As a mom of 4, I don't have much time for people-watching any more. Actually, people are probably watching me. But sometimes you observe things even when you aren't looking for them. I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly.

The Good - I was overwhelmed by the kindness of strangers at the hospital yesterday. I was managing my crutches like a 12-month-old who is just learning to walk. People offered to give me their place in line, they opened car doors for me, asked if I needed help, and I even had one offer of a ride home by a kind nurse. It restores your faith in humanity.

The Bad - The day before my debilitating injury, we had an unseasonal rainstorm. It amazes me how cars will not pause to let a woman in high heels, carrying a baby and an umbrella pass. They would prefer, instead, to continue at a normal pace, not worrying about splashing mud puddles on pedestrians.

The Ugly - Alone at the mall food court, I was able to observe the mother and young son ahead of me in line. He couldn't have been older than five and was a total sweetheart. The mother only stopped texting long enough to place her order. She ignored her son and yelled at him for bothering her. When he questioned where the straws were located, she coldly answered, "Right there," without looking up. "Where?" he asked. "Right in front of your face!" she yelled. I calmly picked up a straw and handed it to him. His innocent big brown eyes looked up at me and he smiled. Precious. Then the mother demanded that he move the tray and drink along the line. She texted. He commented on how the bars on the counter were like train tracks. No response. She had no clue how sweet of a child she was blessed to have. I pray that I don't take my children for granted, yelling at them for no reason (in public, especially) because I have a lot on my mind. Sometimes I try to be thankful for the lessons I learn just by watching others make the wrong decisions. It was 4 days ago and I still think about the boy. I hope he has a good Christmas.

3 comments:

chris said...

it's so hard to watch the sort of scene you witnessed at the food court. i have tried to point out something wonderful about the child being slighted - but have had it totally backfire. sigh. your "pathetic parenting" tag says it all.

Theresa said...

Ok, I must have missed something. Debilitating injury? right before the holidays? Huh? wha? I hope you are back on both feet again soon!

Anonymous said...

Your story about the little boy and the absentminded (rude) mom, broke my heart. Surely we all get tired of the almost constant barrage (sp?) of our children's questions and voices sometimes, but ignoring them like that is so demeaning.

If she does that to a child, she probably does that to adults too. Very sad.