Text

~my thoughts about life~



Saturday, December 4, 2010

Cookie Tradition & Softened Butter

I read a post that suggested a home should not be without homemade cookies in the month of December. I couldn't agree more. So I am attempting to keep freshly baked cookies on the counter through Christmas. It may be a challenge, however, because I know how quickly these cookies are likely to disappear.

Last night's cookies were good, old-fashioned chocolate chunk. My recipe is just a tweak of the Tollhouse Cookie recipe, but I'll share it anyway.

Many recipes called for softened butter. There is a great difference between softened and melted butter. The consistency of the butter can dramatically alter your finished product. If you are prepared in advance, you can leave the sticks of butter on the countertop for a couple hours. But that never happens in my house. Luckily, I learned how to soften it in the microwave without melting it. You must reduce the power on your microwave. I had never done that before so wasn't even sure how to do it. But once I figured it out, I learned that 2 sticks of butter take 40 seconds at 20% power in my microwave. Yours may vary. Too long and it's liquid. It's better to try 10 seconds at a time and keep checking it.

Now that I've got this power application down, I've started to microwave my popcorn at 90% power. It seems to help more kernals to pop without burning. So there's your cooking tip for the day! Now, on to the recipe:

Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 1/4 C flour
1 t salt
1 t baking powder
dash cinnamon
2 sticks butter, softened
3/4 C sugar
3/4 C brown sugar
1 1/2 t vanilla
2 eggs
2 C semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks

In a small bowl, combine flour, salt, soda, and cinnamon. In a large bowl, mix butter, sugars, and vanilla by hand. Mix in eggs. Gradually add flour mixture without over mixing. Add in chocolate.

Drop by rounded tablespoons onto a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until edges are brown. Cool on the tray for a couple minutes then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.

2 comments:

Melissa C. said...

Couldn't do it. I'd eat all of the cookies after the kids went to bed and put on 10 pounds!! I've already been sneaking the chocolate out of the kids Advent Calender and have to go out and buy more.

~she~ said...

Oh, I know!!! I should have weighed myself before I began so I could compare it to my weight after Christmas! On second thought, I don't want to know!