Text

~my thoughts about life~



Friday, December 23, 2011

All Things Christmas

I decided to snap a few pictures of what Christmas looks like around here so far. 

This is my undecorated tree and the presents that are wrapped so far.  I totally adore my polka-dotted paper!  I'm trying to figure out a place where I can send my kids so I can finish wrapping their presents.  One of Baby Girl's big gifts has been in my closet, covered up by clothes and pillows.  It's a wonder she hasn't discovered it yet.

If you turn around 180 degrees from the tree, this is what you see.  I received a beautiful selection of Christmas cards this year.  It makes the 70 cards I sent out worth the time.  In the background, you can see my present wrapping station and a couple gifts ready to be wrapped.  On the floor is my sister-in-law's KitchenAid mixer.  My brother had it delivered to my house. That sucker is heavy and should be lots of fun to wrap!

Remember that Tiny Prints promotion?  Well, this is the spectacular card I received from them!  Printed on high quality cardstock, it was the ultimate Christmas card!  I received phone calls and text messages from across the country declaring that my card was more awesome than words.  I had to agree.  See that black area in the middle?  I left it like that purposely so that I could handwrite personal messages with a fancy white pen!  And here's the back:

Yeah, I told you it was good!  This was the first time I had ever used a picture of myself on our cards.  Yeah, that picture is over a year old but...well, you know!  The picture on the left of all of us was just taken in August.  So I'm not like those 90-year-old people in the obituaries who have photos from when they were 29.

Finally, this is what is going to be the death of me.  Do you know what Buckeyes are?  I've found that many people who aren't from this part of the country call them peanut butter balls.  I store them in the refrigerator because they taste so delicious when the chocolate has hardened!  I hope I find time today to make Red Velvet Cupcakes

Today is our "Christmas Eve."  Since we're going to church on Christmas morning, we are going to wake up tomorrow and pretend it's Christmas Day.  Tomorrow evening will be spent with my parents and brother.  We will spend Christmas afternoon with my mother-in-law...we are all she has in life.  She was widowed twice and only had one child.  All her siblings have passed away.  I always feel sorry for her around holidays.  On Monday, Hubby is off!  We will have Christmas with my mom's side of the family, which will be our biggest event.  I love having a big family and I try to picture what life will be like in 20 years.  My four kids will hopefully all come home with their spouses and children.  I think I'm going to have to build a bigger house if I want them all to fit for holidays!

So, this is it.  It's nearly here.  Are you ready?  If so, here's my fabulous recipe for Buckeyes!

Buckeyes
1 lb. creamy peanut butter (2 1/4 C)
1/2 lb. butter (2 sticks)
1 1/2 t vanilla
1 1/2 lb. powdered sugar (5 2/3 C)

Blend peanut butter, vanilla, and butter together on low speed of mixer.  Add powdered sugar.  Mix by hand and knead.  Roll into balls 1" in diameter.  Put on waxed paper and refrigerate one hour. 

Chocolate dip:
6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
6 oz. milk chocolate
paraffin*

Melt chocolates and paraffin in double boiler.  Insert a toothpick in the center of each peanut butter ball and dip in melted chocolate, leaving a small circle of peanut butter showing.  Place back on waxed paper to set.  When hardened, rub out the hole created by the toothpick.  These keep for quite a while in the refrigerator.  I've never had them around long enough to go bad!

*Parrifin is a wax used in candle making.  It's totally safe for cooking.  You can find it in the baking aisle at your grocery store.  It thins out the chocolate and makes it the perfect consistency for dipping.  I shave off little bits at a time with a knife until the chocolate pours easily from a spoon. 

2 comments:

Mimsie said...

Oh, I love buckeyes! Thanks for sharing your recipe! Your house looks so warm and inviting. I hope you and your family have a blessed Christmas and a happy, healthy 2012. Keep up your blog--it's something I look forward to reading every day.

imagesisee.blogspot.com said...

Sorry about your "vomiting" episode described in the other post. At least it was only one child and the rest of your day sounded good.

I love your card. Somewhere along the line, communication broke down and Tiny Cards never followed through with me. Not a problem because I didn't have any pics for it anyway. Maybe next year.

We call them peanut butter balls around here. One of my favorites. And I cover them completely with the chocolate. Right out of the fridge is best, I agree.

Hope you have a blessed New Year's and 2012.