Text

~my thoughts about life~



Saturday, November 13, 2010

Addiction

My boys have a smoothie addiction. Every time we go to the Target plaza, they ask if they can go to Smoothie King. And we go to Target A LOT. There is also a Chipotle in the plaza, which is what I have an addiction to. So we have this discussion often. At first, they thought that Hubby should treat them to a $4 smoothie twice a week. Then they got smart and started bringing their wallets. "Well, if you have the money, then I don't care if you get one," was my initial response. Then it got ridiculous. My kids were spending all their birthday money, Christmas money, and hard-earned lawn mowing money on smoothies! I had to put my foot down. "I thought you were going to save your lawn mowing money for a car? You'll be 16 before you know it!" Well, that logic didn't work on them. I got a glimpse into the future. I saw my boys at 35 years old, living in a shack with dirty children and lawn furniture in the living room. But there are plenty of Smoothie King cups in the trash can. If I don't teach my kids how to make good decisions now and how to resist the urge for unnecessary pleasures in life, how will they ever grow up to be responsible adults. Then it happened...Smoothie King left the plaza! Glory be! The fight is over now, right? Wrong.

It was a recent family trip to Target when the boys realized Smoothie King was gone. I tried to show my support and pretend like I was devastated. But I was smiling on the inside. This is the first step I need to teach my children how to be fiscally responsible. (And all the Dave Ramsey fans say "Amen.") So while I was paying for diapers at Target, I saw the worst possible thing: my son in line at STARBUCKS! No, not Starbucks! They are even more addictive than Smoothie King! People lose their homes over Starbucks! So I finished checking out and went to inquire what in the world he was doing in that line. "Dad said I could." Grrr....I hate that bit. Dad says yes to everything! My kids purposely wait until I'm as far away as possible so that the only option is asking Dad. "What did you order?" I asked. "Hot chocolate." With a dirty look I replied, "We have free hot chocolate at home." But that didn't matter. This was so important to him for some reason. Why? I don't know. Maybe he will go to school tomorrow and tell his friends how he went to Starbucks last night. Maybe he thinks he'll meet a hot girl there. (Yes, he's only 11.) Whatever the reason, it was over. They were making his drink. Then I heard a voice call out "White chocolate mocha." It's 8:00 at night. "You got a white chocolate mocha???" A drink made with espresso, full of caffeine (which we try to avoid totally). "I don't know, I just ordered white chocolate." My blood was boiling now. "How much did you pay for that?" But of course He claimed he didn't know. So now I've got this kid who is $3-and-something poorer, holding a coffee. Maybe Smoothie King leaving the plaza was not a blessing after all. I made him give the coffee to my mother and hoped he learned his lesson the hard way. Maybe we should just avoid Target altogether. Lots of addictions get fed in that plaza.

No comments: