Text

~my thoughts about life~



Monday, October 24, 2011

Couponing

A while back, I mentioned that I would love to try my hand at Extreme Couponing.  I had never seen the show but planned to record a few episodes.  I also told some of my friends I was thinking of looking into it.  Everyone I talked to had pretty much the same response, "You don't want to do that."  Others said, "Unless you want to buy 40 bars of soap at one time, this isn't for you." 

I watched the show.  I loved the show.  I decided that I do want 40 bars of soap.  I envied the stockpile in their basements.  I totally don't see it as hoarding.  It's well organized, it consists of things they're going to use, and they saved a ton of money by doing it.  I've been suckered in.

I started researching.  I found some good blogs that give step-by-step instructions of how to begin.  I read informative websites and I found out the best places to print coupons.  After reading everything, I discovered that I've been doing a mild form of extreme couponing for years, I just haven't been using coupons.  One of the most important steps is to only buy what's on sale.  That's what I do.  I don't plan family meals based on what sounds good or what I've been craving.  I decide what to cook based on what's on sale.  For example, this week it's pork ribs and turkey breast.  My store receipt keeps a tally of  how much I've saved to date.  My total saved from coupons so far this year is only $28.53.  That's laughable.  Our grocery store has a food perks program that you build up by using their gas station.  With that program, I've saved $67.33.  Again, that's nothing.  But with weekly specials and sales, I've saved $617.61.  So you see what I mean- I've already been shopping the sales for years.  If I add coupons to this mix, I think I just might be able to do this.

One thing I will not be doing is buying things we don't use, even if it's free.  I don't believe in waste.  But I don't see any problem with having a stock of soap, deodorant, and paper towels.  We go through those things so quickly anyway and seem to always be running out.  It's amazing how fast our family of six goes through one of those giant packs of toilet paper (Baby Girl uses about 3 times the amount she should use).  Those packs cost $12.  I'm tired of paying that much money to clean my hind end!  If I can get it for cheap, I'm going to do it.

Monday is my shopping day.  I'm a scheduled girl!  So I'm starting today.  I know I won't gets results like the people on the show and I'm not expecting to.  I don't have a huge supply of coupons yet.  But I hope to save at least ten dollars.  Last week, I saved $11 with coupons.  That was huge for me!  I hope to increase my savings each week.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I will be shopping at two different stores.  Browsing through the ads, I found out that the store across town has much better specials this week.  I hate that store and don't know where anything is, but I guess I'll figure it out eventually.

So, wish me luck if you want.  Roll your eyes at me if you want.  I'm going to give this a serious go.  I found out this year that I can grow tomatoes, I can run 6 miles, and I can post almost daily on my own blog.  So I think I can do this too.  We'll see...

No comments: