Text

~my thoughts about life~



Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Randomness

I took my girls group "Booing" last night.  We filled five paper sacks with candy and treats.  My artistic assistant skillfully painted the word BOO on the bag along with a stencil of a pumpkin.  Adorable.  She tied them with black curly ribbon.  Inside, we included a picture of a friendly ghost with this poem:

The Halloween Phantom haunts you happily from now through Halloween,
And was delivered by a friend who was not seen.
The spirit of the neighborhood has come to wish you well,
Someone, somewhere, selected you to receive this happy spell.
You must display the Phantom on your door so all can spy
That you’re already haunted by this happy little guy.
Then fix 3 sacks with goodies like the one given to you,
Ring someone’s bell and leave a bag and make them happy too!
Happy Halloween!

I forgot to take a picture...these are last year's bags.

We picked five favorite families from the church as our victims.  In groups of five, the girls quietly approached each house.  They placed the bag on the porch, rang the bell, and bolted.  We were waiting down the street in a van with the lights off.  The funniest line of the night was from one of our Seniors who said, "I've got nervous pee!"  We had a great time and don't think we were ever seen.  This is a great tradition to begin in your neighborhood!
----------

This week is Spirit Week at the kids' schools.  Of course, the themes aren't the same for both schools.  The boys had Crazy Hair Day and Big Sis had Crazy Sock Day, or so I thought.  She was all dressed and we were getting ready to walk out the door.  Suddenly, she noticed her planner said today was Team Shirt Day.  She's a girly-girl.  She doesn't have a team shirt.  So, into brother's closet we went.  We borrowed a college football jersey that is probably too small for him anyway.  She actually looked quite adorable in it with a red shirt underneath, a red bow, and gray striped leggings under her skirt.  Team Shirt Day actually triumphed over Crazy Sock Day.  It's all good.

----------

I am now dreaming about coupons.  That can't be good.

----------

We have some new friends that we've really enjoyed getting to know lately.  I've been promising to have them over for some time now but I haven't found the right opportunity.  First of all, I haven't been able to get my house clean enough.  For regular friends, it's fine.  But for new friends, I have to portray the image that I'm one of those good housekeepers.  (I'll hope they'll still like me when they find out I'm deceiving them.)  So, Friday night was the night.  We had a Fall Festival at church and I invited them over for dessert afterward.  I made two pumpkin pies (one for a pie contest that I did not win) and pumpkin cupcakes.  The house was not Company Clean but it was acceptable.  This family also has four kids so I knew they probably wouldn't judge too harshly. 

I wasn't quite prepared for the evening so I was running around doing things after they arrived.  (Actually, they had to bring me to my own home because Hubby disappeared without his phone but with my car keys.  I was stranded and super embarrassed.  If that guy wasn't so cute, he'd be out on his ear.)  I made a fresh pitcher of sweet tea and was placing it in the fridge.  Hubby had just removed the drawer that the pitcher sits in to clean it.  He did not put it back in properly.  When I set the pitcher down, the shelf collapsed and and entire gallon of sweet tea exploded in my kitchen.  It drenched me, all the way to my hair.  It trickled down into the lower living room.  It seeped through into the basement.  Imagine my sheer horror!  My new friend was on her hands and knees in my kitchen, cleaning up the spilled tea.  It became a sticky mess so I had to get a bucket and actually scrub the floor.  Let's hope they come back again.

2 comments:

imagesisee.blogspot.com said...

So it was probably one of those pumpking cupcakes you were eating when you read my blog. Sounds like it was really good.

If your new friend sticks around after the ice-tea episode, she'll probably be a keeper. That sounds like it was quite an experience.

Amanda :: Grace & Gusto said...

Things like the tea disaster always seem to happen at the absolute worst times!