Text

~my thoughts about life~



Monday, February 28, 2011

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder

This is the ugliest cake I've ever baked.  And of course, it was for a very important cause.  We have had our share of funerals lately.  This cake was one of two that I made for a large family whose grandmother passed away.  I make the best cakes in the world (I'm not bragging, this is a scientific fact) so it's always my go-to dessert whenever there's a death.  I prefer to make "funeral cakes" in bundt form...that way I can just pour the chocolate glaze over top and place the whole thing on a cardboard circle.  I have one good metal bundt pan that is at least 30 years old and a cutsie, modern, red silicone pan I bought from Crate & Barrel.  Well, to put it bluntly, the silicone pan sucks.  This is what happens when I use the silicone pan.  Believe it or not, I actually gave the cake to the grieving family, along with the picture-perfect cake that came out of the antique metal pan.  I also sent my apologies for the appearance.  But the good news is that some of the cake broke off when I tried to transfer it.  I dipped it in the extra icing and tasted it.  Oh my, it was heavenly!  So this just goes to prove that you can't judge a book by its cover.  I threw away the silicone pan and will only use metal from this point forward.

And no, I'm not sharing the recipe for my famous chocolate cake or icing.  Sorry, folks.

3 comments:

Mimsie said...

A friend of our family used to call cakes like this "sick cakes". They taste yummy, even though they've fallen apart. I'm sure the grieving family appreciated a bizzy mom's act of kindness!

Mimsie said...

P.S. I enjoy peeking at (and sometimes commenting on) your favorite blogs--thanks for the links! I doubt I'll ever have my own blog, but I do enjoy having a look at other people's interesting thoughts and photos.

Madeline Elizabeth said...

Oh this sounds so so good!