Text

~my thoughts about life~



Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Glimmer of Hope?

Dare I say it?  Could this be the first sign of Spring in my garden?  Reaching barely an inch off the ground, recently covered by snow and ice, stands this lone green life source - a glimpse into the warm Spring days that lie ahead. 

We were teased by Mother Nature these past couple of days.  The thick sheets of ice and crunchy snow yielded to the warm rays of the sun as the wet, brownish grass awoke from a long winter slumber.  But one must not get their hopes set too high; Winter will be back in full force to finish out February, March, and perhaps April.

Seeing a landscape made up of colors other than white has given me the itch to move on to things like seed packets and potting soil, Spring cleaning with fresh-smelling products, and outdoor running with iPod in tote.  I was able to spend time outdoors yesterday watching Baby Girl throw balls, ride scooters, and play with leaves and twigs.  She didn't want to ever go back inside.  But a mishap in a mud puddle made her declare, "I all wet."  She's going to be disappointed tomorrow when her desire to go back outside is met with disapproval from her again depressed mother who has a severe case of Spring Fever.

I located these seed packets on a shelf in the garage.  They are the seeds I lost last year.  And I started wondering if it's time to begin planting yet?  Last year was my first attempt at starting plants from seeds.  I was late in my efforts but got descent results anyway.  So I flipped over the packets and began reading.  6 to 8 weeks and 8 to 10 weeks before planting outdoors is when I should start my indoor greenhouse.  I live in the fickle Midwest but I figure that time is right about now!  I may do a bit more research online about my geographic area but I think I have my Saturday plans all set!  Where are all my gardener friends?  Have you begun yet?

2 comments:

Madeline Elizabeth said...

I can't wait till spring, and to start planting either!

~she~ said...

2 days after posting this, we got another huge snowstorm, which I wasn't expecting at all! We now have a foot of snow on the ground. It's still February after all. I got my hopes up too early!