Text

~my thoughts about life~



Thursday, February 24, 2011

Oom-Pah-Pah

Son #1 brough his band tuba home over the long weekend plus one snow day.  So we were able to be serenaded with Oom-pah-pahs Friday afternoon through Tuesday night.  I must say though that it doesn't get on my nerves.  I love hearing him play.  It shocks me how good he's already gotten...he just started this school year.  Along with the tuba, he's also taking piano and guitar lessons.  I could tell he had musical talent before he could ever talk.  I know that sounds impossible, but it's true! 

When he was a baby, he definitely had a favorite song.  Whenever I would play that particular CD, he would jump to the beat in his little jumper that hung from the door frame.  And when I would sing Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, he would "sing" along, matching my pitch.  He couldn't even say the words yet.  He would say, "De da, de da, de da TAR!"  So I have encouraged his love for music ever since.  And it's paying off.  The kid has some major talent and I'm ridiculously proud of him!  Tonight is his third band concert.  I'll be the mom in the stands who has the wide smile spread across her face.

5 comments:

Theresa said...

Music was one of the reasons that I was not sure about the homeschooling. My girls attend choir and bell choir at church and they take recorder at co-op, but in school there would have been more opportunities. Right now, P wants drum lessons (but I don't think her reach is there and I want her to learn to read music first). P is the much more musical of the two of them. We found a piano teacher that we like and I would like her to take piano, but she is insistent on drums...so we have decided to resume the conversation in a couple of months...

~she~ said...

Son #1 also wanted to take drum lessons. I told him drums were not a real instrument (which is how my brother started) and he had to learn a real instrument first. I told him if he tackled piano and guitar, he could move on to drums. My brother actually does not recommend drum lessons. He said that my son would learn better putting on his iPod and going to town on the drums by himself. He'll learn more by experience. My friend who homeschools takes her daughter to the public school once a week for band class.

Cupcake Mama said...

So sweet!

Mimsie said...

As far as the drums...I listened to an interview on NPR yesterday with Martha Reeves (Vandellas fame, of course). A caller mentioned his best percussion "lessons" came from listening to the bass notes on Marvin Gaye's "I Heard it on the Grapevine". So your brother is right that listening followed by imitation is a good way for your son to learn percussion. Good for your son--he looks very happy playing that tuba!

Mimsie said...

Your son might enjoy watching this little guy:
http://www.choralnet.org/view/268945