Text

~my thoughts about life~



Monday, June 6, 2011

Catching Up

Well, that Blast From the Past deal didn't work out as I had planned.  The sponsor forgot that she was hosting this event and got tied up with other things.  But I had put way too much work into finding and photographing the pictures and writing the little snippets that went with them.  So I just let it roll.  If she gives it another go next month, I'll just link to these posts from the past week.  Hopefully someone enjoyed them!

I feel like I haven't really blogged for a week.  I haven't discussed what has been going on in my life lately.  So I think this will be a random-what-I've-been-up-to post.

Monday was a perfect, although blistering hot, day.  We were able to co-celebrate Memorial Day and Hubby's birthday with a kiddie pool and lots of good food.

Tuesday was another scorcher as I helped with Field Day at school.  We played a cool Pirates & Sailors game that totally wiped me out.  Then a friend and I went to Hobby Lobby to get teacher gifts.  Baby Girl was well overdue for her nap and was causing quite a ruckus.  She was standing on the side of the cart, holding on to the basket, which caused the entire cart to tip over and land right on top of her.  The calm person that I am, I lifted the cart, scolded her for climbing, then picked her up and checked her out.  Store patrons and employees acted like I was a horrible person and parent for not flipping out.  I guess they wanted me to run the aisles screaming, "Call 911!"  The cashier called "Code 3!" over the intercom and a store manager came running.  It was quite embarrassing.  Baby Girl had quit crying by this point and was burying her head in my shoulder out of her own embarrassment.  The manager insisted I have her checked out for a head injury.  She didn't hit her head.  The cart fell on her stomach.  When I asked her what hurt, twice she pointed to her cheek.  She was fine and still is fine.  I ended up leaving the things I was purchasing on a bench and just left the store.  It was not a good time.

Wednesday was Son #2's spelling bee.  He did wonderfully, considering his shyness, and even made it farther than his brainiac brother did the two years prior.  He was able to go out with a bang, requiring the use of the audio recording to determine if he did indeed say the E in chimney.  I'm still pretty uncertain on that one but they gave him the benefit of the doubt.  Still a bit shaken the next round, he missed assembly.  He should have gotten that one.

Thursday was practically perfect in every way.  (My birthday.)  In the morning was #2's elementary graduation.   They played Pomp and Circumstance as he collected his Presidential Achievement Award.  Then I enjoyed lunch with 8 friends at a Japanese steakhouse and had chocolaty ice cream.  I took a food induced coma/nap afterward and enjoyed some time on the patio.  For dinner, Hubby took me the Italian restaurant where we got engaged.  I had toasty bread with 3" of melty cheese on top.  It was sinful.

Friday, #2 had an out-of-school swimming party so I sat lazily in a friend's backyard.  We had another fabulous dinner without the kids, which was my aunt's gift to me.  I bought some orange shoes at T.J. Maxx.  Every woman deserves to own a pair of orange shoes, I decided.

On Saturday, we were hit with some pretty big hail.  We are badly in need of a new roof so we're hoping that insurance might cover the cost due to hail damage.  An adjuster is coming out this week.

Yesterday was a funeral and today begins Son #1's basketball camp.  Does your life seem to be getting busier and busier too???

6 comments:

Mimsie said...

I really like your blog and look forward to reading it every day. Belated happy birthday, and I like the orange shoes.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you read it every day! I look forward to your comments! Thank you for the birthday wishes. I rocked out the orange shoes Sunday morning!
~she~

Courtney said...

Yay for food induced coma naps. Sounds delightful.

Mimsie said...

I meant to comment on the shopping cart incident too. Nowadays, isn't it all about LIABILITY? I doubt they cared a fig about your daughter's condition except how it would impact the store. Sad....

linda said...

Ever since I've been an adult with children, I wonder every year in the spring who in the world wrote the words to the song about the "lazy, hazy days of summer". I'm thinking it must have been a man... My schedule always spiraled out of control the warmer the weather got.

About the shopping cart incident--I probably would have responded the way you did, if I could have kept from laughing (once I knew the child was okay). I agree with Mimsie, it was probably about the liability issue. Too bad we've been reduced to this.

And in response to your question aabout and carrying a camera with me when I bike--I deliberately purchased a tote that attaches to the bike so I could take it with me. I always feel like I'm having withdrawal symptoms if I don't have my camera, even if I don't use it.

Also--Happy Birthday!

June 6, 2011 10:26 PM

chris said...

happy birthday!! and i love the shoes!!!