Text

~my thoughts about life~



Thursday, June 23, 2011

Niagara Falls

I had the wonderful privilege this week to travel via train to Niagara Falls with the kids group from my church.  How awesome is a church that rewards their students with a trip like that?  I am very blessed to be a part of it!   There were 53 of us in all and we had a fantastic time!

The day started at 3:45 AM when we all met at the church to drive to the Amtrak station.  A wonderful gentleman from our church and my sweet Hubby drove all of us up there.  Then Hubby headed straight to work, returning home at 8:30 PM.  He was just in time to pick us back up at the church and have his dinner at 9:00.  What a trooper!

We were only able to view the Falls from the American side since the kids didn't have passports.  I had only been to Niagara Falls, Canada before so seeing it from this side was like being there for the first time.  It's much less commercialized in New York and there are beautiful parks to enjoy.  There isn't a good view of the Horseshoe Falls from there but you are able to get much closer to the action.  We walked up the steps right next to the Falls, getting blasted by the spray the entire climb.  It was a refreshing break from the 80+ degree day.

We walked on trails, rode the trolley, went onto the observation deck, had a picnic in the park, and paid $10 for 2 ice creams and a Coke.  We boarded a charter bus back home where all the kids powered down and slept.  We stopped at a souvenir shop and then Cracker Barrel on the way home.  It was a perfect day with no injuries, no sickness, no fights, and no problems.  We were very fortunate!



5 comments:

Theresa said...

You just made my day!

My parents summer home is less than 2 hours from the New York side of Niagara Falls. I wanted to go, BUT the girls don't have passports and I keep dragging my feet...should I get them for there? where else will we go? Should I get the passport or just the passcard? But these photos are beautiful! I think we may take the ride this summer!

k said...

What a fun trip!

I love Cracker Barrel an inordinate amount.

Mimsie said...

Wish I had known you were going--I could have stood on the Canadian side of the Falls and waved at you!

~she~ said...

Ha ha...I would have waved back!

Mimsie said...

My husband is on the same page as "k" as far as Cracker Barrel. We MUST stop there for whatever meal is coming up, when we are driving through the US.