Text

~my thoughts about life~



Monday, June 13, 2011

Mayonnaise Cake


It may not be a pretty sight, but it
was so delightful to eat!

Yesterday was my brother's birthday.  No, this cake was not for him.  While talking with his wife about what she was going to do for his birthday, I mentioned a mayonnaise cake with 7-minute icing.  It's always been his favorite.  She said that he had requested a Coca-Cola cake instead, which is my specialty.  I kept thinking about that mayonnaise cake.  It's been a long time since I've had one.  I breezed through my recipe binder and found that my Grandma had given me both the recipes for the cake and the icing.  I checked and happened to have all the ingredients on hand.  So it was just a no-brainer after that!  It was so delicious...writing this blog post is making me really want a piece right now!

I have an uncle who won't eat this cake simply because of its name.  He doesn't like mayonnaise so won't even try the cake.  In case you don't know, you can't taste the mayo in this cake!  Mayonnaise is simply a substitution for eggs and oil and makes the cake very moist.  So if you're feeling adventurous today, give it a try!

Mayonnaise Cake
1 C Miracle Whip
1 C Sugar
1 t Vanilla
2 C Flour
4 T Cocoa Powder
2 t Baking Soda
1 t Baking Powder
Dash Salt
1 C Warm Water

Combine mayonnaise and sugar.  Add vanilla.  Sift flour, cocoa, soda, powder, and salt together.  Add to mayonnaise mixture alternately with water.

Bake at 325 for 25-30 minutes.


7-Minute Icing
2 Egg Whites
1 1/2 C Sugar
2 t Corn Syrup OR 1/4 t Cream of Tarter
1/3 C Cold Water
Dash Salt
1 t Vanilla

Bring water to a boil in the bottom of a double boiler.  In the top, combine all ingredients except vanilla.  Mix enough to combine then place over boiling water.  Beat with a hand mixer on high for 7 minutes or until thick.  Remove from heat and add vanilla.  Beat until blended.  *Do not scrape sides of pan.

*This recipe makes plenty of frosting...do not be stingy when filling the center of a 2-layer cake.
*The icing is a bit tricky.  If you don't cook it long enough, it will be too gooey.  If you cook it too long or scrape the sides of the pan, it will form a sugary crust over the top.

(I totally did not cook mine long enough, which is why it looks so messy in the picture.  It was still delicious though.  My recipe didn't say, but I believe that the icing should form stiff peaks when the mixer is lifted.)

*Be careful, this recipe is addictive!

3 comments:

Theresa said...

My husband always talks about the mayonnaise cake his grandmother used to make! I am going to try this! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

You'll have to ask him what kind of icing she used. But this is probably the cake recipe. Enjoy!

~she~

Mimsie said...

My tummy is growling! Mmmmmmm......