Text

~my thoughts about life~



Monday, January 2, 2012

Grocery Store Etiquette

It's been a while since I've blogged about my pet peeves.  I went to Target Saturday.  So now I have quite a few more.  How many of these things bug you?
  • People who stop their shopping cart right in the middle of the aisle while they study something on a shelf.  They are in another world and are totally oblivious to the fact that you need to pass by.  Even a polite "Excuse me" gets no response.  One of these days, I might be in the wrong mood and ram one of them with my cart.
  • People who walk in groups (very slowly) down the aisle.  They can't follow one another in a straight line...they must all be side by side so that I, again, cannot pass by.  When I go grocery shopping, I am on a mission.  I like to speed walk, get what I need, and get out of there.  (By the way, old ladies are exempt from the slow walking rule.  When you're old, you have earned the right to walk slowly.  These aren't the people who irritate me.)
  • People who leave their shopping cart messy.  Saturday, I found a half eaten, orange peanut butter cracker in my cart.   Baby Girl picked it up and showed me, saying "Ewwww!"  Sure, my kids make a mess in the cart, but I clean it up afterward.  Also, don't leave the deli paper in your cart from your sample of maple ham.  Don't leave your store ad or shopping list in there either.  Take all your trash with you when you leave.
  • People who block off half the parking lot because they're waiting on a space.  If the person before you has just started loading their groceries into the trunk, you may not sit there and wait on them.  (If no one is behind you waiting, you are exempt from this rule.)  It is not proper parking lot etiquette to wait on another driver unless they are already in their car, getting ready to pull out.  (Another exemption- when it's Christmastime and there are no spots to be found anywhere in the lot, you may stalk another shopper and follow them to their car.  Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.)
  • People who write checks.  Seriously.  It's 2012.  They have this little plastic card now called a debit card.  It does the exact same thing as a check, only it takes a half of second to swipe instead of the fifty-three seconds it takes you to fill out a check.  "Was that fifty-two cents or sixty-two cents, Mildred?"  Come on, join us in the 21st century and get a debit card already!
And yes, believe it or not, every one of these things happened to me during one solitary Saturday shopping trip!  I think I should write a book on Grocery Store Etiquette.  Anyone have anything else I should include in the book?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel so lucky... I live in such a small town that I don't ever have to fight for a parking space. Plus, I can go to the store in off hours and not have to fight my way through people. The only time I'd rather live in a big city is when I have to drive 2 hours to go to the mall :)

Anonymous said...

Agree to all of them. My biggest pet peeve are people who leave their shopping carts in the MIDDLE of an empty space or even worse BEHIND a parked car! ugh!

I started a new blog. It's a long story. I had issues after changing the url and Blogger, Disqus, Linkwithin, Feedburner could not fix it. I exported and imported this time...anyway, I re-followed you with my new id and am your 50th follower! woo hoo!!!

new blog: http://redoaklane.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Agree to all of them. My biggest pet peeve are people who leave their shopping carts in the MIDDLE of an empty space or even worse BEHIND a parked car! ugh!

I started a new blog. It's a long story. I had issues after changing the url and Blogger, Disqus, Linkwithin, Feedburner could not fix it. I exported and imported this time...anyway, I re-followed you with my new id and am your 50th follower! woo hoo!!!

new blog: http://redoaklane.blogspot.com

Linda said...

All of the things you mentioned are mildly irritating or not to me depending on the mood I'm in at the moment.

But no matter what mood I'm in, good or bad, what drives me up a wall is people talking on their cell phones and cruising through the aisles while I'm on my mission. Invariably they're talking decibles louder than they would be talking to a person next to them. I. Do. Not. Care. About. Their. Business! But by their volume they must think that everyone in the store is interested. Sheesh.

In the parking lot...it's the ones who park just on the line so that the spot next to them is too small for anything other than a mini-cooper to fit.

Etiquette of any kind is a disappearing art, sad to say.

Cory said...

Bwahahahaha!!! We are so much alike! You crack me up! I feel just the same. My mom writes checks still and I DO.NOT.GET.IT! ;) And she is not exempt just because she is my mom. Ha! I've got to get back into blogging... you inspire me. :) have we started "dieting" yet this year? :)

Lisa said...

My biggest grocery store pet peeve is the woman I patiently waited on to get to three different items that she stood in front of for 10 minutes each and then she practically pushed me aside when I was standing in front of the soup she wanted.