Text

~my thoughts about life~



Saturday, January 22, 2011

What's For Dinner?

I feel like I make the same things for dinner over and over!  So I am so thrilled when I discover a new recipe that at least two people in my family like.  As I mentioned a week or so ago, I started reading Paula Deen's memoirs.  I've been enjoying it so far and there are recipes at the end of each chapter.  She tells about her first big catering job when she chose to serve Beef Stronganoff.  She said she got so sick of that dish after preparing so much of it that she still can't eat it to this day.  But it sounded good to me so I decided to try it.  It was a success and will be added to our regular rotation.  I just can't make it too close to Beef Tips and Noodles.  The two dishes are similar but very different at the same time.  So here is Paula Deen's recipe.  Hope you enjoy it!

Beef Stroganoff
1 1/2 lbs. cubed round steak, cut into thin strips
House Seasoning (1 C salt, 1/4 C pepper, 1/4 C garlic powder)
Flour
2 T olive oil
2 T butter
1 medium onion, sliced
8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 10 3/4 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
1 11 oz. can beef broth
1 C sour cream
Cooked flat noodles

Season the steak strips with House Seasoning, then dust the strips with flour.  In a large skillet, quickly brown them on both sides in the oil and butter.  Remove the steak from the pan.  Add the onion slices and mushrooms to the pan drippings.  Cook for a  few minutes, until the onion is tender, then sprinkle with 1 t flour.  Put the steak back into the pan with the onion and mushrooms.  Add the soup and broth.  Cook over low heat for about 30 minutes, covered.  Stir in the sour cream.  Adjust seasoning to taste, adding salt and pepper as needed.  Serve over cooked hot buttered flat noodles.

No comments: