Text

~my thoughts about life~



Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Song On My Mind

Sometimes we complain a little too much about life.  The weather here is horrible...why don't I live in Hawaii?  My kids are driving me crazy.  My husband can't pick up his socks or put his shoes away.  I just vacuumed this carpet and now there's mud everywhere.  Why do I have a headache for the third day in a row?

I follow two blogs of parents who suddenly lost their young children and it breaks my heart.  I don't know if I could cope with something like that.  These women are warriors.

I was walking through the living room, picking up the same things I've picked up three times already today.  I didn't grumble, but I thought about it.  Then an old song we used to sing in church popped into my head:

I am blessed.
I am blessed.
Every day that I live I am blessed.
When I wake up in the morning,
Or I lay my head to rest,
I am blessed.
I am blessed.

The words are so simple.  But it changed my way of thinking today.  I think it's awesome when a song comes to mind at the exact moment you need it.  Maybe these lyrics will help someone else today.

I am blessed.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I try to keep things in perspective too. The phrase that comes to my mind sometimes when I'm feeling sorry for myself is: I cried because I had no shoes, and then I met a man who had no feet".

Erica said...

This reminds me a lot of one of my favorite songs. It's by one of my favorite artists, Ben Harper. Blessed to be a Witness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vJEfU4qCmM

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/benharper/blessedtobeawitness.html

Always makes me feel blessed too.