Text

~my thoughts about life~



Thursday, May 12, 2011

A Step Back in Time

Yesterday, I was fortunate enough to accompany Big Sis on a field trip.  We went to a historical village that taught the kids what life was like way back when.  Some of the buildings were from the mid-1800s. 

We learned how the pioneers made brooms.  We visited a blacksmith, weaver, glassblower, and potter.  There was a man representing a doctor, a sample general store, and a school room.  The students were enlisted into the Union Army and taught how to hold a musket.  They marched in line and fired at the chaperones (Reds). 

We enjoyed a picnic lunch in the shade of wonderfully fragrant trees.  My daughter and I walked hand in hand and she was proud to be my partner.  We had gorgeous weather in the 80s- something I have been waiting a very long time on.



The last time I visited this site was on an 8th grade field trip. It was much more enjoyable yesterday than it was when I was a snotty teenager.

Then, of course, there was a smelly bus ride back to the school.  But it was a practically perfect day.

2 comments:

k said...

Have you or did you ever watch "Frontier House" on PBS? It was a kind of reality show that took three families and trained them to live in rural Montana as if they were part of the frontier-times--then they left them to it for a few months. It was so great and Montana is so beautiful, the cinematography was amazing.

Anonymous said...

No, I've never heard of it. Sounds so interesting! I think I could do it! I would definitely miss my blogging though.
~she~